Wednesday, April 19, 2006

You Never Know What a Day Will Bring

Donna: Can you imagine leaving your house, or your job or school, getting on the Roosevelt Island tram for a five minute ride and finding yourself still dangling 300 feet above the water 11 hours later?
Virginia: No! I kept thinking last night about what I would do...I don't think I’d panic, but who knows...really? But the real question is what did they do about a bathroom?!!! I know you'd just hold it... but mostly that's not realistic
Donna: First thing I thought of. Moral of the story: pee before you leave home. I can't add it to my diet raspberry iced tea bottle. My aim is not that good.
Virginia: Yeah that's easy for guys...but the women…
Donna: Guess it's another example of never knowing what a day will bring.
Virginia: No you never do...know what a day will bring. Somebody has to do a story about that part of it though.
Donna: It's one of those perfectly New York moments.
Virginia: Exactly--like traffic being stopped by marching doormen. is there another city that has enough doormen to have a union much less a march?
Donna: LOL. New Yorkers are really good in a crunch. Apparently people joked and kept the kids calm. There were a lot of kids going to and from after school activities.
Virginia: Yep, I saw anxious parents who's kids were with nannies on the tram...another new York thing. talk about the surreal world..who needs Paris and Nicole?
Virginia: I’m sorry the Surreal Life is the real name isn't it?
Donna: Of a different show. Their's was The Simple Life, and there isn't much simple about day to day life these days. The best you can do is try to be prepared and stay loose. I thought of Bob too--a friend who never leaves home without some kind of food in his bag--a sandwich, cookies, orange juice. Always enough to share. He would have been ready for an 11 hour delay.
Virginia: Speaking of---do we need to pack lunches for the LA trip? 6 hours on the plane with "snacks for purchase" sounds pretty miserable.
Donna: And yes, we do need snacks--starting with breakfast.
Virginia: I guess ribs and potato salad is out.
Donna: All that sauce and lip smacking is a bit of a problem with seat mates. Then there are the bones.
Virginia: They still collect trash don't they? Or do you have to carry it off the plane with you too? Maybe they’ll charge extra for cleaning your area after you've been sitting there...like if you take a towel from a hotel and it gets charged to your credit card.... if you leave a mess...say rib bones...you'll be slapped with a post flight clean up charge!
Donna: Clearly it hasn't gone into affect yet--I have seen some pig sties left on the plane. I don't even know how folks can sit in it until they get off. I mean newspapers on the floor, peanut shells, candy wrappers, pillows, blankets, tissues--a mess.
Virginia: Makes you wonder what they do at home---but the same can be said for ladies rooms but lets not go there.
Donna: Let's not.
Virginia: 'Cause then we're back to the tram and what on earth did they do for 11 hours
Donna: At least it had a happy ending. Nobody hurt, no heart attacks. I bet they'll be telling the story for quite a while.
Virginia: Yep. Another new York story for the annals
Donna: Clearly we’re hungry for happy endings though. It's the only explanation of the national prominence of Molly the cat, stuck in the grocery store walls.
Virginia: yeah...my mom in Buffalo was talking about Molly.
Donna: Lord knows I'm an animal lover. It explains why 4 cats have been saved from my yard and taken up residence in my house, but really, the coverage was out of control. Guess it was something everybody could root for.
Virginia: I rooted for little Jessica in the well and the coal miners. I mean I cared about the cat, but it wasn't national newsworthy.
Donna: But the cat lived happily ever after, unlike the baby who was shot through the walls of his mother's minivan--while sleeping in his car seat. On Easter morning! That was so upsetting. It was a beautiful day--a time to rejoice and he was in what should have been a safe place. Who could know it was the wrong street at the wrong time?
Virginia: Yeah, that was/is so sad. But you never know what a day will bring I just got off the phone w/my mom. the son of a family friend went to FL to see his dad and help him with some spring clean up, fix up chores. The son had a heart attack and died while there
Donna: Guess all we can ever do is keep our eyes open, pray for the best, wear clean underwear and see what happens.
Virginia: Then they were bringing the body back to Buffalo and the dad got sick on the plane, medics met them at the airport and he's now in intensive care
Donna: What a nightmare.
Virginia: But I’ve had enough gloom and doom
Donna: I was just about to say that sometimes you run into people you haven't seen in a long time, in places you never expect them. The unexpected doesn't have to be gloom and doom.
Virginia: I have to pee...
Donna: Not in a cup I hope. Later.
posted by DeBerry and Grant at 1:59 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://sisterstalk.com/blackblogs/links.php
Blog search directory Promote Your Blog


Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites